Robert McGinnis (born 1926), is an American artist and illustrator. McGinnis is known for his illustrations of over 1200 paperback book covers, and over 40 movie posters, including Breakfast at Tiffanys (his first film poster assignment), Barbarella, and several James Bond and Matt Helm films.
McGinnis became an apprentice at Walt Disney studios, then studied fine art at Ohio State University. After wartime service in the Merchant Marine he entered advertising and a chance meeting with Mitchell Hooks in 1958 led him to be introduced to Dell Publishing began a career drawing a variety of paperback covers including Edward S. Aarons, Erle Stanley Gardner, Richard S. Prather, and the Michael Shayne and Carter Brown series.
McGinnis’s attention to detail was such that when he was assigned to do the artwork for Arabesque he requested Sophia Loren‘s tiger stripe dress be sent for him for a model to wear so he could get the right appearance.
Since 2004, McGinnis has created cover illustrations for the Hard Case Crime paperback series.
References and footnotes
- ^ a b c Biography: McGinnis, Robert. – Cavalier Galleries
- ^ a b c Jilbert, Paul. – Celebrating Films of the 1960s & 1970s: New DVD Documentary on Legendary Movie Poster Artist Robert McGinnis”. – Cinema Retro. – May 13, 2008
- ^ Nourmand, Tony, (2001). – James Bond Movie Posters: The Official 007 Collection. – London: Boxtree. – ISBN 9780752220178
- ^ a b Virtual Pin-ups Art Gallery: artist Robert McGinnis/9. – ImageNETion
- ^ Robert McGinnis. – IMDb
- ^ Hall of Fame. – Society of Illustrators
- Fenner, Artie, and Cathy Fenner, (2000). – Tapestry: The Paintings of Robert McGinnis. – Underwood Books. – London: Hi Marketing . – ISBN 9781887424561
- Scott, Art, (2001). – Paperback Covers of Robert McGinnis. – Boston: Pond Press. – ISBN 9780966677645
- Robert E. McGinnis Gallery – (website temporarily retired)
- McGinnis – American Art Archives
- Virtual Pin-ups Art Gallery: artist Robert McGinnis/4 – ImageNETion